Sunday, January 8, 2012

Nostalgia Sunday: Rollercoaster Tycoon

Rollercoaster Tycoon

One of the first games I ever got and one of the first games, I couldn't get enough of. It just was a game, you could do something new everyday. And to think, it was created mostly by only one man named Chris Sawyer, makes it even better, seeing the complexity and yet the user friendliness of the game. 
The Story:
The "stories" in this game are called scenarios. You can choose a park at the beginning, which has a goal you must reach, in a limited time. Mostly you have to have a certain amount of guests in your park, or lift the value of the park by creating more attractions and keeping it running smoothly. By completing certain scenarios, you unlock new ones. The standart game has 21, so you certainly won't get bored with it. The last park you will unlock is called "Mega Park" and gives you the simple objective to "Have Fun!", by unlocking every attraction and allowing you to build everything you want.

The Game:
Like said above, your goal is to create a successful park. You can do that however you like. You'll get a loan at the start, with which you can buy or build attractions, refreshment stands, items, such as banks, trash cans or flowers, to improve the visual quality of the park, or certain handymen, like entertainers, mechanics, or security guards. Everything has a certain purpose, mostly to keep the guests of the park happy, which means income. Every guest has a liking towards something, like thrilling rollercoaster rides, or a clean park. If you can satisfy all the guests, your park will become successful. But it doesn't end there. Most of the fun comes from building your own rollercoasters. It sometimes can be hard, but seeing the guests ride your own rollercoaster is something special.

The Sequels:
The first game had two expansion packs, which added new scenarios, attractions and items, which assured the longevity of the game. The second game, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, which was released in 2002, improved mainly on the graphics side to the first game. It wasn't received too well by the fans of the first game, but outsold its predecessor, creating a new hype for the tycoon games. It also got two new expansion packs, with again, new scenarios, attractions and items. The third game in the series, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, took a whole new turn, by adding 3D graphics and leaving the isometric view behind, which were part of the older games. It finally added a sandbox mode, which gave you the opportunity to give yourself as much money as you want and build, whatever you dreamed of. It also was possible, to import attractions and scenarios from other people, which created huge databases on the internet. Although it improved more on the first game than the second, it got lesser good ratings, because of the many bugs it had. RCT3 also got two expansion packs. The first was named "Soaked!", which added the option to build water parks and in general, water attractions. The second was called "Wild!", in which you could build your park like a zoo, adding safari rides and animals. A new game, called Rollercoaster Tycoon 3D, was announced in August for the 3DS. There's not much information on it right now, but Atari asked the fans on their forums, what they would like in the game.

Such a classic game, and I still have it. I have the original CD for the first game and from time to time, I play one or two of the scenarios. This game still hasn't got old and I wish for more tycoon games in the future. As I have no 3DS, I guess I'll have to wait, till they release a new PC version of the game.

24 comments:

  1. Haha, I did a very simular post.And you're totally right Rollercoaster Tycoon is deffinitly a classic game. I played that alot when I was younger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to play this game all the day way back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many hours wasted on this... I need to boot it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg! I remember this, and now I want to play it again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love simulators. they're so addicting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, so many good times trapping guests in the park and building death trap rollercoasters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg I used to played this game for hours a day. I really wanna get it again now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy I remember this! Used to spend countless hours on it, making roller coasters so bad that everyone thew up haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah I remember that game... good fun

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the visit. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty sure most people only liked this game so they could send people to their deaths via rollercoasters gone wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow memories come up... i fkn loved this game!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy Shit does this bring back memories! I used to play this game like ten years ago when we got our first computer! Windows 98 or something :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. damn I loved this game, I remember I borrowed it from a friend after I showed him Theme Park World and he made me play tycoon because it was so much better

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mate, that`s great. I played Transporter Tycoon few months back. It has a Deluxe version out that runs on w7. Love tycoon games. +Following! Cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tycoon - the game from my childhood :D

    FOLLOWED

    ReplyDelete
  17. I routinely install this game and age of empires onto all new pc's I get

    ReplyDelete
  18. I miss this game, Used to play this all day when I was a kid. Would never get boring

    ReplyDelete
  19. Used to love this game :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vandals always destroyed benches in my park :( I miss this game! (RCT1&2)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i hated this game truthfully

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved this game, really creative concept

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, i have forgot this game entirely, now i'll search for it on my old desk, ahahh my first game on Windows ME!

    ReplyDelete